Thursday, April 10, 2014

Do You Know Who You Are?


If you head on over to the porch at Life, For Instance you will find Lori’s latest thought-provoking post: Do You Know Who You Are?

As I sat down with the intent to list out everything I think I am, I quickly realized that it’s not as easy as it looks. I have never been a fan of labels- I don’t like labeling other people, myself, my relationships, etc- but that is what I started doing. I recognized that each label I gave myself was accurate, however, it’s not how I want other people to view me, and it’s specifically not how I truly view myself.

So how do I see myself? Who am I? I’m not sure if I can articulate exactly how or who, but I’m going to try:

I am a person with very strong views and opinions on a lot of issues, but I struggle with ways to voice them.

I am a person who isn’t very good with confrontation, or sometimes basic conversation- I prefer writing down everything so that I can sort through my thoughts and emotions by myself first.

I am a highly sensitive person, but I do not show my emotions easily. I have to be poked and prodded before I give anything away.

I tread carefully when it comes to matters of the heart, but I understand that life is short and I want to love more freely.

I am someone who values my relationships- with my family, my friends and the person I’m dating. I always want to make sure the people in my life are happy and I want to help in any way I can.

Because of my past, I am an empathetic person. I find myself becoming very emotionally involved in situations that have nothing to do with me, but I feel like I can relate to them so easily.

I am a dreamer and a believer, a writer and a creator. I do all of that best when I’m close to the water.

I am a homebody but I love to travel and explore. I like the unknown that waits for me in places I’ve never visited and I like the comfort of my own bed waiting for me at home.

I am proud of how I carry myself. I still have days when the weight of missing Alex is so heavy that it seems impossible to do anything but lay in bed and dream of him- but I do get up. I carry my thoughts of him around with me, and it makes me feel better.

I try my best to live in the present without dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.

I am a free spirit who is willing to change and who understands that life is what you make of it.

That's who I am - how I see myself. Or at least, that's all I'm willing to give up at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. I love it Sara! I love it all and this,

    "I am a homebody but I love to travel and explore. I like the unknown that waits for me in places I’ve never visited and I like the comfort of my own bed waiting for me at home."

    And of course the photo.

    I see that you too are happiest when everyone is on the dance floor.

    Thanks so much for taking up the challenge! <3
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori!

      It really is such a good/different way to learn more about the people around you.

      I think it would be interesting to do this once a year and see what changes and what stays the same!

      xx Sara

      Delete
  2. Hi there. I just found out about you and your exfiance , and your life and all. So funny, and I don´t konw what else to say. Inspired by your strength, is what sums up my feelings. And touched. Deeply. You are free you just forget it. love to you.

    ReplyDelete